The Emanuel campus includes a heritage listed Synagogue completed by Samuel Lipson in 1941 and a second Sanctuary designed by Aaron Bolot in the 1960’s. The new 700 seat sanctuary and childcare centre was integrated into the site with the existing building in a way which allows the old building to maintain its independence while the new lightweight addition is equally clearly expressed. The new pavilion is a concrete, steel and glass structure that sits next to Samuel Lipson’s modernist Synagogue. The colour of the new structure reflects the existing terracotta brickwork throughout the campus. The extensive use of glass creates a transparency which is inherent to the ethos of this community.