Wildlife Retreat at Taronga
COX Architecture with AECOM
Sustainability was a key aim for the Wildlife Retreat project.
Achievement of a 5 Star Green Star Design and As-Built rating will be assisted by a range of features including:
• Cross Laminated Timber Structural elements
• External shading systems including green screens to the external open air walkways connecting to the rooms
• Landscaping and greenscreens minimising heat island effects
• Rooftop PV panels
• Stormwater retention systems
• Option to turn off airconditioning and simply open windows in comfortable temperatures
The interaction with nature that the Retreat celebrates, is an important component of encouraging a more sustainable future.
The Wildlife Retreat not only reduces emissions compared to a traditional development; but also ensures the facility can adapt when the climate does inevitably change.
Photography: Mike Chorley and Guy Wilkinson